Friday, September 29, 2017

Who Cares What People Think?!

Friday, September 29, 2017

The fear of human opinion disables; 
trusting in GOD protects you from that‭‭.
Proverbs‬ ‭29:25‬ ‭MSG‬

I might act like it doesn't matter to me what people think. But if I'm honest I'll admit that it hurts when people don't like me or if they have a bad opinion of me. Perhaps that is pride. Perhaps it's just human nature. Perhaps it's the people-pleaser in me. 

But if I get too wrapped up in what people think, that can be debilitating. Even paralyzing. It can effect every aspect of my life and make me miserable. It can bleed over into my relationships and make everybody around me miserable. 

This verse says, "the FEAR of human opinion." That's pretty much on one end of the spectrum. "Who cares what people think," would be on the opposite end. I think there needs to be a healthy balance in there somewhere. 

I remember one time sharing my heart with my boyfriend, saying, "God may have called you to be a pastor but He for sure didn't call me to be a pastor's wife." I had all kinds of visions of church members expecting me to play the piano and lead the music and direct Vacation Bible School and lead Mission Friends and keep an immaculate home and raise perfect children and, well, the list could go on. But I came to grips with the fact that as long as I was doing the things I felt like the Lord was calling me to do and as long as I did things that were pleasing to Him, then it didn't really matter what other people thought. 

And so I've been a preacher's wife for 35 years. Currently I teach Sunday School and volunteer with the media team. I seek God's will and strive to make Him proud. I trust Him implicitly with my life and with the lives of my family. And He gives me peace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment