Wednesday, September 20, 2017

The Doobie Brothers

Wednesday, September 20, 2017

It's been a long time since I've been to a rock concert. I mean a really long time. Last night we went to see The Doobie Brothers at the EKU Center for the Arts. Now THAT was some art!  

The opening act was JD and The Straight Shot. We really enjoyed them. Turns out the lead singer and writer for the group -- JD -- is "Cablevision Systems Corporation CEO and Madison Square Garden Company Executive ChairmanJames L. Dolan." (Wikipedia) He owns the New York Knicks!

We got a real kick out of reading about him on the Internet on the way home. He has booked his own group as opening act for bands such as ZZ Top, the Allmon Brothers Band, the Eagles, and, of course, the Doobies. I guess if you run Madison Square Garden you can book your own band if you want to! 

The Doobie Briohers were pretty good, too -- if you like the type! And, well, I like the type! It was fun to watch all the old grey-headed people in the audience "dancing" and enjoying themselves. Maybe that's why they're deaf -- they listened to too much rock and roll in the seventies! 

I remember my mother saying something like, "How can you listen to that noise?" I think I've said something to Lizzie like, "Today's music just really isn't music." Guess it's just hard to appreciate what kids listen to. 

Two things really stuck out for me last night as I enjoyed these bands:
(1) It was amazing to see how many different instruments they played so masterfully. 
(2) The vocal harmony was superb. 

Yes. This was good music. Why are my ears ringing?





No comments:

Post a Comment