Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Let God Handle It: Travel

Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Do you have a very long commute to work each day? How do you get there? Do you walk? Ride a bike? Take a bus or a train? How bout a motorcycle or an airplane? 

I've visited 48 states, mostly by car, and about 25 other countries, traveling in airplanes, helicopters, ships, trains, buses, and cars. 

One time I took my then 14-year-old son on a mission trip to Botswana, Africa. I traveled to Malta on a mission trip with some EKU college students. I flew from the Philippines by myself to Nashville when I was 20 years old. Flying has just never bothered me. 

I know you've heard it before but, statistically speaking, flying is the safest way to travel. They may not have your luggage on board but there are only 0.07 deaths per billion hours flown. Compare that to 212 deaths per billion hours on a motorcycle or 7.28 in a car. (Stats from 2000-2009 via Northwestern University)

So how should we deal with the many obstacles involved with traveling? Lost luggage. Traffic jams. Security checks. Montezuma's Revenge. Misplaced passports. 

We should always pray before, during, and after venturing out, seeking God's will as we travel. If trouble arises, we should breath slowly, take it easy, and let God help us figure out the problems. 

We should step out in faith as we move forward, refusing to get caught up in the nervousness and panic that sometimes comes from being alone. 

And we definitely must give God the glory for working everything out. 

Yes, I think God wants to be a part of every area of our lives -- including how we get from point A to point B. 

We should exercise a little patience and flexibility. 
And it really help to have a sense of humor. 

Happy travels!



No comments:

Post a Comment