Saturday, September 2, 2017

Shades of Grey

Saturday, September 2, 2017

What are your favorite quotes about truth?  I found a few that I like. This first one was spoken before the age of social media -- I don't think Dr. Spurgeon realized how prophetic he was. 
"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes." Charles Spurgeon
I didn't know Mr. Shakespeare personally so I don't know what he was like as a man, but his words sure do ring true. 
"No legacy is so rich as honesty."
William Shakespeare
This next one sounds like something my father would have said. Wallace -- Albert -- pretty smart men. 
"Whoever is careless with the truth in small matters can't be trusted with important matters."
Albert Einstein 
Of these quotes, though, I like this one the most. I had to read it a couple of times to really take it all in. 
"I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality... I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word."
Martin Luther King, Jr
It seems that we have taken truth and blended it with everything else under the sun to make a big mess. I'm reminded of a song by a philosophical group from the sixties. (Yes, I was an official member of their fan club!) Take a look at these lyrics. 

Shades of Grey
the Monkees

When the world and I were young
Just yesterday
Life was such a simple game
A child could play
It was easy then to tell right from wrong
Easy then to tell weak from strong
When a man should stand and fight
Or just go along
But today there is no day or night
Today there is no dark or light
Today there is no black or white
Only shades of gray
I remember when the answers seemed so clear
We had never lived with doubt or tasted fear
It was easy then to tell truth from lies
Selling out from compromise
Who to love and who to hate
The foolish from the wise
But today there is no day or night
Today there is no dark or light
Today there is no black or white
Only shades of gray
It was easy then to know what was fair
When to keep and when to share
How much to protect your heart
And how much to care
But today there is no day or night
Today there is no dark or light
Today there is no black or white
Only shades of gray
Only shades of gray

Lord, help us recognize the truth and not get caught up in the lies all around us. 



No comments:

Post a Comment