Friday, August 18, 2017

What do the critters do during an eclipse?

Friday, August 18, 2017

Have you ever experienced a total eclipse of the sun? I haven't. But one time about 15 years ago, my son and I had the rare occasion of being on the Madikwe Game Reserve in South Africa during a partial eclipse. If I remember correctly, it was about 75% of totality. 

I was fascinated by the behavior of the animals. Apparently they are not only affected by the slowly approaching darkness but also by the drop of temperature that corresponds with it. We saw flocks of birds flying to their nighttime roosts. And the elephants went to their evening watering spot in the middle of the day. 

I've read where farm animals will lie down in their pastures and chickens will go to roost. Apparently crickets and nighttime flying insects will become active as will nocturnal birds of prey. 

It seems that domesticated animals don't tend to be affected, though, because they get their bedtime cues from their indoor humans and not so much from the light or temperature outside. 

So when I'm on my sister's farm in Christian County next Monday for our big eclipse, I hope to remember to keep an eye out for strange and unusual animal behavior. I wonder, for instance, if the coyotes will be vocal.  Will lightening bugs come out? Will I get very sleepy?

Can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment