Saturday, August 26, 2017

The Prescription for Our Nation (Part Three)

Saturday, August 26, 2017

Thursday I commented that I believe our nation is seriously ill. 

Signs and Symptoms 
(1) Rather than accept each other for who we are, we see the color of each other's skin. 
(2) Rather than celebrate each other's cultural roots, we tiptoe around them for fear of offending each other.
(3) The rich feel like poor ought to work; the poor resent the rich. The rich drive the economy; the poor suck the life out of it. 
(4) The lawmakers take care of themselves and can't relate to the little guy. The average person doesn't trust the lawmakers. 
(5) It's getting harder and harder to feel safe in our own country. 
(7) Christians are criticized. Jews are targeted. Muslims aren't accepted. 
(8) Our universities have gone off the deep end, changing curriculum so as not to stress out their students. 

I'm personally really concerned about where we are headed. Why can't we just all get along with each other? I don't get it. I seriously don't get it. 

The only thing I know to do is to turn to the Lord. Nothing else we're doing seems to be working. Protests. Rhetoric. Only God can heal us. 

I believe that 2 Chronicles 7:14 is God's prescription for bringing us back to health.
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  2 Chronicles‬ ‭7:14‬
According to this passage, the responsibility rests on the shoulders of our nation's Christians. We must humble ourselves before the Lord and seek His will. He will be faithful to provide for our needs. We must analyze our hearts and turn from our sins so that our relationship with God can be strengthened. If we put God first in our lives, He will bless us. 
As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, my God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God? My tears have been my food day and night, while people say to me all day long, “Where is your God?” These things I remember as I pour out my soul: how I used to go to the house of God under the protection of the Mighty One with shouts of joy and praise among the festive throng. Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? 
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God. 
My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar. Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me. By day the Lord directs his love, at night his song is with me— a prayer to the God of my life. I say to God my Rock, “Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go about mourning, oppressed by the enemy?” My bones suffer mortal agony as my foes taunt me, saying to me all day long, “Where is your God?” Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? 
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.”
‭Psalm‬ ‭42:1-11‬ ‭NIV‬
Lord, may our hearts be acceptable to you. Heal us individually and collectively. 




No comments:

Post a Comment