Tuesday, August 8, 2017

The Quest for Wisdom

Tuesday, August 8, 2017

So give your servant a discerning heart
to govern your people and 
to distinguish between right and wrong. 
For who is able to govern this 
great people of yours?
‭‭1 Kings‬ ‭3:9‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Solomon was given the opportunity to ask God for anything. Rather than request riches or power, he asked for wisdom. God was very pleased with Solomon's request -- so much so that not only did He give him his request for wisdom but He also gave him wealth and power. 

We could learn from this. We should always seek a discerning heart -- whether we're working with our children or with an entire nation. 

And the rhetorical question is intriguing: who is able to govern this great people of yours?
What is the answer? I would suggest that the answer is, "God."
I know I can't supervise my people very well. It is only by God's direction that I am able to be equitable and kind to them. So it is God's governing through me that gets the job done. 

Lord, create in us a clean and discerning heart that we might make you proud every day. 




No comments:

Post a Comment