Thursday, August 24, 2017

The Prescription for our Nation (Part One)

Thursday, August 24, 2017

I think most people in our country would agree that our nation is seriously ill. God has given us the remedy. It involves several steps on our part and it won't be a quick fix. But there is hope. 

Second Chronicles gives us the prescription.
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.  2 Chronicles‬ ‭7:14‬
For the next few days I'll be breaking down this passage. I think it is rich with meaning and we all need to hear it. Today I want to look at the "if" part. God says "if" we will do one thing, "then" He will do another. It's pretty safe to say that if we DON'T do the first part, then we have no reason to expect Him to do the second. 

(1) If My people who are called by My Name
Who are His people? 
Who are called by His name? 
We could spend a week and a half on this. But here are my thoughts in a nutshell. 

God created mankind. So whether we acknowledge His existence or His part in our lives or not, we all are His people.  Second Peter 3:9 says,  “The Lord is . . . patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.” According to Scripture, we are ALL important in His sight. 

What does it mean to be called by His name? What name does this refer to because there are so many listed in the Scripture? Could the name be that of Christ? Could this be talking about Christians? If so, then according to this verse, the health of our nation lies firmly on our shoulders. It is up to us to facilitate the remedy. 

(2) If they humble themselves
Humility is 
• the "quality of being courteously respectful of others." (The Christian Bible Reference Site)
• "remaining teachable, knowing that you do not have all the answers." (The Urban Dictionary)
• "freedom from pride or arrogance." (Miriam-Webster)

Christians must search themselves and remove ALL pride and arrogance. We must show genuine courtesy and respect to everyone; and be teachable, recognizing that we don't know it all. God is the source of wisdom and we should be submissive to Him. 

(3) If they pray
First Thessalonians 5:17 says, "pray continually.”  And here are some ideas about what we could pray for regarding our country. 

Matthew 5:44 says, "I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you." Yikes. 

‭‭Psalm 199:125 says, "I am your servant; give me discernment that I may understand your statutes." 

We must go to the Lord with whatever is on our hearts because it's very likely that the Holy Spirit placed it there. 
‭‭
(4) If they seek My face
“Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always.” ‭‭1 Chronicles‬ ‭16:11‬

“Your ways, God, are holy. What god is as great as our God?” Psalm‬ ‭77:13‬ ‭

“Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.” ‭‭Romans‬ ‭12:2‬

We must seek God's will. There is no peace elsewhere. 

(5) If they turn from their wicked ways
“In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent.” ‭‭Acts‬ ‭17:30‬

“I confess my iniquity; I am troubled by my sin.” Psalm‬ ‭38:18‬

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”  ‭‭1 John‬ ‭1:9‬

All throughout history we see time and time again where God's people turned back to Him and he forgave them. He wants to do the same today. We must allow the Holy Spirit to identify the sin in our lives and turn away from it. God is waiting with open arms. 

Lord, we recognize the illness in our country. Bring this passage of Scripture alive to us today, that we might individually take the first steps toward healing for our land. 



No comments:

Post a Comment