Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Turn Away From Sin

January 2, 2018

“Therefore, you Israelites, I will judge each of you according to your own ways,” declares the Sovereign LORD. “Repent! Turn away from all your offenses; then sin will not be your downfall. Rid yourselves of all the offenses you have committed, and get a new heart and a new spirit. Why will you die, people of Israel? For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone,” declares the Sovereign LORD. “Repent and live!”
‭Ezekiel‬ ‭18:30-32‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Most of us look to start over in some way or another in the new year. This is a really good time to take a good look at our spiritual condition. Are we stuck in some kind of activity that we know deep down inside is not a good thing to do? Is there a barrier between us and the Lord because of sin in our lives? 

This Ezekiel passage might be addressed to the Israelites of old; but it is quite applicable to us today. 
  1. If we try our best to do good and rely on that to get us to heaven, then we will be judged by our actions. I don’t know about you but I don’t want to be judged based on my accomplishments because when I rely on myself I fail miserably. All I have to do is to look at my New Years resolutions and how quickly I fail to achieve them to know that I can’t be trusted to do what’s right. 
  2. To get a new heart and a new spirit, we must acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord of our lives. But not only that — we must turn from our sin toward Him and toward what is right. 
  3. The death the Lord refers to here has nothing to do with a physical state but everything to do with our eternal destination. It is not God’s desire for anyone to spend eternity separated from Him in hell. Rather He wishes for all to have eternal life with Him in heaven. (See John 3:17)
As we take another step in the new year, we should take a good look at the junk in our lives that needs to go and take the necessary measures to remove it — and to run away from it. God is ready and willing to help us out. 

Father, thank you for offering forgiveness to us when we mess up. Help us to humble ourselves before You and to confess our sins to you so that we can have our slates wiped clean and can start anew today. 


traveltriangle.com

No comments:

Post a Comment