Wednesday, January 31, 2018

My crocuses are poking out their little heads!

Wednesday, January 31, 2017

Along the walkway to our front porch, I have a delightful sight waiting for me these days. My crocuses are coming up! One day in the near future I’ll come home to find delicate purple flowers smiling at me and I can hardly wait! By this time next month my daffodils will also be coming up which means that spring isn’t too far away. 

So what do you know about crocuses?
  • There are over 80 species of crocuses. 
  • Saffron, a spice used in rice or risotto recipes, is derived from one particular species of crocus. 
  • It takes about 70,000 crocus flowers to produce one pound of saffron. 
  • Iran is the leading producer of saffron which can cost $325 per teaspoonful. 
  • Be careful, though, because another similar species is actually poisonous. 
  • Crocus flowers tend to bloom in late winter and early spring. 
  • People in the financial world use the term “crocus” to refer to a company which is springs up early after an economic downturn. 
No matter how you look at them, crocuses are pretty little things. And I’m so excited to see mine starting to peek out from the ground!

LORD, thank you for the reminder that you have the whole world in your hands — including the arrival of late winter flowers. Thank you for their intricate beauty. May we pay close attention to them this year. And may we help Your hope blossom in those around us who need Your encouragement right now. Better times are just around the corner. 


thehumblegardener.com

No comments:

Post a Comment