Friday, January 19, 2018

Can God Be Trusted?

Friday, January 19, 2018

TRUST
 - confidence in someone’s character, ability, reliability, commitment, strength, or truth (definition mine)

Everybody else seems bent on letting us down so how do we know that God can be trusted?

I can think of two sources for answers to this question. The first is the Bible. It is full of examples of God doing what He promised. Here are but a few examples. 

(1)  He has kept this promise for thousands of years. So far, so good. 
I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth. Genesis 9:11 NIV
(2) God promised Abraham He would give him countless descendants. Still at the age of 99, Abraham and Sarah were childless. 
Then the LORD said to Abraham, “Why did Sarah laugh and say, ‘Will I really have a child, now that I am old?’ Is anything too hard for the LORD? I will return to you at the appointed time next year, and Sarah will have a son.”
Genesis‬ ‭18:13-14‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Now the LORD was gracious to Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did for Sarah what he had promised. Sarah became pregnant and bore a son to Abraham in his old age, at the very time God had promised him.
Genesis‬ ‭21:1-2‬ ‭NIV‬‬
Abraham’s son, Isaac, became the father of Israel. Promised kept. 

(3) God promised to free the Israelites from Egypt — which He did. And He promised to lead and protect them. 
By day the LORD went ahead of them in a pillar of cloud to guide them on their way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so that they could travel by day or night. Neither the pillar of cloud by day nor the pillar of fire by night left its place in front of the people.
Exodus‬ ‭13:21-22‬ ‭NIV‬‬
At one point, He even put the pillar of cloud between the Israelites and their adversaries for protection. See Exodus 14:19-20

(4) In taking the Israelites to the promised land, God had to fulfill many of His promises. 
Not one of all the LORD’s good promises to Israel failed; every one was fulfilled.
‭‭Joshua‬ ‭21:45‬ ‭NIV‬
(5) God promised us heaven. All indications are that He will keep His word. 
My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
‭John‬ ‭14:2-3‬ ‭NIV‬‬
The other evidence I have that God is trustworthy comes from my own personal experience. 
  1. He promised He would never leave me and He has not. 
  2. He listens to me and knows my heart. 
  3. He has proven His utmost character to me. 
  4. He is dependable on all fronts.  
  5. He has never lied to me or let me down. 
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
Proverbs‬ ‭3:5-6‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Father, You alone are trustworthy. You have proven yourself time and time again. And You have promised that if we acknowledge You as Lord of our lives, You will give us Your direction. Thank You!


straightpathministries.org

No comments:

Post a Comment