Saturday, January 20, 2018

Trusting God

Saturday, January 20, 2018
by Phyllis Causey
Former Administrative Assistant to 
Dr. Wallace Nave
Member of Living Hope Baptist Church
Bowling Green, KY

Growing up in church, I remember singing,

Not a doubt nor a fear,
not a sigh nor a tear,
can abide while we
trust and obey.

Trust and obey,
for there’s no other way
to be happy in Jesus,
but to trust and obey.
John H Sammis, 1887

God has shown me many times I can trust Him in all situations. I would like to share a story which helped me understand, trusting God in a greater way.

A few years ago I had been attending a summer Bible Study on trusting God. My desire was to learn as much as I could about trusting Him with my life and my family. However, when the ultimate test came, I was unsure whether I would be able to respond and remain calm without anxiety.  

It was a beautiful July 4 when my son, Todd, who was in his early 20’s, decided to go for a ride on his motorcycle. Because of a “more than usual” feeling of uneasiness, I began to pray as he rode off down the driveway.  I said, “I don’t know where he is going or what he will be doing, but I choose to trust You with my precious son.  I went about doing my chores and resting in God to protect Todd.  

The day passed quickly, as usual, and I sat down to read from my study book on trusting God.  Once again the uneasiness rose up within me, and as I got ready for bed, the thought went through my mind, “What if you get a phone call in the middle of the night?”  I was a bit surprised when I heard my voice say, “Lord, I am going to trust You.” I went to bed and fell asleep rather quickly.  I was awakened just as quickly when the phone rang and, as I glanced at the clock, it was 2:30 a.m.  I answered the phone to hear a friend of Todd’s say, “Todd has been in an accident on I-65, but he is going to be fine.”  As I dressed and drove to the Medical Center, I was unbelievably at peace. I am not by nature a tranquil person, so when I walked into Todd’s room, he was amazed by my calmness.  I said, “Todd, the Holy Spirit prompted me to pray for your protection last night."

It was miraculous to me when I saw the “road rash” and scrapes but not one broken bone — not even a concussion! My God is indeed there for us when we trust Him.

One of my favorite Scriptures often comes to mind:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart:
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek His will in all you do,
and He will show you which path to take.
Proverbs 3:5-6 NLT

We may not understand what God is doing or why He allows some difficult circumstances to occur, but it honors Him when we choose to trust Him.  Thankfully, my faith and trust levels continue to grow as I continue to share this and other marvelous answers to prayer!  Todd is now happily married to Heather, a wonderful young lady, and they have blessed us with two beautiful grandchildren, Alyssa and Landon.



1 comment:

  1. Testimonies such as this one help to affirm my trust in God as well. Thank you for the encouragement. He is, indeed, worthy of all our praise and worship. Jesus is LORD.
    PJR

    ReplyDelete