Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Who Am I?

Who Am I?
Tuesday, May 16, 2017

As a continuation of yesterday's blog, here is something else that helps to define who I am. It has to do with marriage as opposed to genealogy.  
  • I am Bill's wife. 
  • By nature of his calling, I am a pastor's wife. 
  • I was a daughter-in-law to Bill's parents. 
  • I am a sister-in-law to Mike and John. 
  • I am a mother-in-law to Holly and Klecenda. 
Before Bill and I got married, I thought I was ready to spend the rest of my life with him. And I was. Not only were we very secure in who we were individually but also who we were in Christ and as a couple. Neither of us made unrealistic demands of the other. We relinquished ultimate control of our lives to the Lord and neither of us tried to circumvent that. 

As a result we have grown to be the very best of friends. We laugh a lot and just enjoy life. To say that who I am is largely because of my marriage to Bill is a wonderful thing. We have each empowered the other to grow and develop into who we are today. 

I remember talking to Bill before our wedding about how concerned I was that he was going to be a pastor. For whatever reason I didn't quite see myself as a pastor's wife -- whatever that is. In his youthful wisdom he advised me to, "do the things you feel the Lord calling you to do and don't worry about pleasing anyone else but Him." When he pastored at his three churches, he made sure the people knew they were hiring him and not us. I think he was very wise. 

As a result of Bill's approach, I am very comfortable as this pastor's wife. I am aware of my spiritual gifts and I rely on God to show me where it is he wants to use them. So, yes, being married to my pastor-husband has helped me to become who I am today.

As far as in-laws go, I think this is another area that can't help but to shape you.

Willie and Nell Fort accepted me into their family as if I were their very own. They helped me to adjust to married life. Their flexibility and unselfishness helped us to be able to establish our own holiday traditions and family routines. Now they weren't particularly good about feeding the kids junk food at all hours of the day and night but that's another story for another day. They were good people and they treated me well. I only hope that when my days are over someone will be able to say that I was a good daughter-in-law, sister-in-law or mother-in-law as well.

Yes, my marriage is part of who I am. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment