Monday, May 22, 2017

That's Not Fair

Monday, May 22, 2017

When my children were little, occasionally this unfortunate phrase would come out of their mouths: "That's not fair!" It didn't take them long to realize that they could expect us to say one of two things to them in response:
  • "Fair does not mean equal."
  • "Oh, you don't want me to be fair! Trust me."
 
...The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. 
He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; 
he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. 
For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; 
as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
‭‭Psalm‬ ‭103:7-12‬ ‭NIV‬‬

This Scripture says so many things. But one of the things I see in it is that God doesn't treat us fairly. And that's a good thing. 
  1. If my statement to my children is true and "fair doesn't mean equal," then I propose that God gives us what is appropriate for each of us individually. We don't all have the same issues or the same needs so He doesn't treat us all the same. 
  2. If He were fair in dealing with us, then we would all get what we deserve. "He does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities." I believe this is a direct reference to Jesus Christ for it is because of His sacrifice on the cross that my penalty has been paid. 
  3. He loves us so much -- if I could spread my arms as wide as the heavens are from the earth, I could show you.
  4. Once I trust in Him as my savior, God removes my sin from me forever. It is as far away as the east is from the west. 
It is important to realize that God is not sitting up there watching us and waiting for us to mess up so He can punish us. No. He is patient and kind, loving and slow to anger. 

At the same time we mustn't antagonize Him by intentionally breaking His rules. He loves us and we should show our love and respect by doing what He has commanded. 

Lord, help us to recognize our sin so that we can confess it and watch you hurl it into oblivion. Help us to make you proud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment