Friday, May 12, 2017

KY State Parks

 
Friday, May 12, 2017

Yesterday I listed the National Parks in Kentucky. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I got them all. But it was a good list nevertheless.

Today I've got the State Parks in Kentucky.
Something I read on the Internet said that Kentucky has the most state parks of any of the other states in the country. And we have 50. These are just the resorts:

  • Barren River Lake State Resort Park (Lucas, KY)
  • Blue Licks Battlefield State Resort Park (Carlisle, KY)
  • Buckhorn Lake State Resort Park (Buckhorn, KY)
  • Carter Caves State Resort Park (Olive Hill, KY)
  • Cumberland Falls State Resort Park (Corbin, KY)
  • Dale Hollow Lake State Resort Park (Burkesville, KY)
  • General Butler State Resort Park (Carrollton, KY)
  • Greenbo Lake State Resort Park (Greenup, KY)
  • Jenny Wiley State Resort Park (Prestonsburg, KY)
  • Kenlake State Resort Park (Hardin, KY)
  • Kentucky Dam Village State Resort Park (Gilbertsville, KY)
  • Lake Barkley State Resort Park (Cadiz, KY)
  • Lake Cumberland State Resort Park (Jamestown, KY)
  • Natural Bridge State Resort Park (Slade, KY)
  • Pennyrile Forest State Resort Park (Dawson Springs, KY)
  • Pine Mountain State Resort Park (Pineville, KY)
  • Rough River Dam State Resort Park (Falls of Rough, KY)
 

When I was a girl, we used to spend our summer vacations camping somewhere. So we've been to many of these parks. I have fond memories of singing around a campfire, trying to get the skunk smell off of our dog, mother cooking fried chicken on a Coleman stove, listening to the crickets at night, trying not to touch the inside of the tent when it rained, going horseback riding on the not-so-spry state park horses, etc.

One summer, my parents and I took a newlywed couple to Barren River State Park to go skiing. Daddy put the boat in the water and it refused to start. He worked on it forever and couldn't figure out the problem. So we loaded up the boat and drove to one of the beaches on the lake. As we drove through the parking lot -- boat in tow -- Daddy ran over somebody's car with our boat. It was the funniest thing -- well, not at the time. (He cut a corner a little too tightly and the side of our boat went up over the front quarter panel of a parked car.) Then mother and I were walking to the beach in the sand and the lid came off of the Tupperware dish containing her newly fried chicken. All the chicken landed in the sand. I thought I was going to cry. We ended up having a picnic with what was left of our food sitting on a blanket in the sand at the beach wondering how on earth anything else could have gone wrong that day.

Just a few days later, I went on my first date with the most wonderful boy in the world and he got to hear the blow-by-blow description of what happened that day at Barren River Lake. We definitely didn't have to think of things to talk about that night.

That boy was from Cadiz, KY -- home of the Lake Barkley State Resort Park. A year later I spent the summer working as a waitress in their coffee shop.

And now my sister's farm is across from the Pennyrile Forest State Resort Park. We've stayed there a time or two over the years.

Yes, I have fond memories from some of Kentucky's state parks. We are truly blessed to have such beautiful places to visit so close to home.


No comments:

Post a Comment