Friday, September 23, 2016

The Result of Holiness

We know that we are to put off badness and put on goodness (with the help of the Lord).  Why again is that?

  • “Be holy because I, the Lord your God, am holy.”  Leviticus 19:2

If we are holy like the Lord, then we can count on life being all rosy and wonderful. Right? 
What happened to Christ as a result of His holiness?
  • Criticism (Matthew 9:3)
  • Punishment (Luke 23:16)
  • Martyrdom (Philippians 2:8)
  • Glorification (John 17:2-5)

That doesn't sound like a very easy or wonderful path, does it. But because it is the path of our Lord, it actually is strangely wonderful. Consider the following passage. It speaks volumes about our faith, righteousness, hope, and reward.

"Who  will harm you if you are deeply committed to what is good?
But even if you should suffer for righteousness, you are blessed.
Do not fear what they fear or be disturbed, but honor the Messiah as Lord in your hearts.
Always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you. 

However, do this with gentleness and respect, keeping your conscience clear so that when you are accused, those who denounce your Christian life will be put to shame."  I Peter 3:13-16


Lord give us strength to put off the nastiness in our hearts and to claim your holiness. Prepare us for the consequences and the rewards.

2 comments:

  1. I often pray for my focus to stay on God and that I'm not distracted by the the bad or even the good things that come about. Obedience to the Lord...as my Old Ox would say :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often pray for my focus to stay on God and that I'm not distracted by the the bad or even the good things that come about. Obedience to the Lord...as my Old Ox would say :)

    ReplyDelete