Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Now THAT is Hope

"Now THAT is Hope"

I think Scripture is so cool because no matter how many times you read it, when you least expect it something phenomenal jumps right out at you. I Peter 1:6-7 did that for me last week.


"You rejoice in this, though now for a short time you have had to struggle in various trials so that the genuineness of your faith -- more valuable than gold, which perishes though refined by fire -- may result in praise, glory, and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ."  I Peter 1:6-7


I don't know how many times I have read this as: even though you are going through something rotten, just remember that by standing firm, you will bring praise, glory and honor to Christ Jesus.


Although I do believe that to be a reasonable goal for God's people, I'm not exactly sure that is what the last part of it actually says. Perhaps it means ...so that the genuineness of your faith may result in YOUR praise, glory, and honor from God at Jesus' return. I have never thought of being the recipient of HIS praise, glory, and honor.


So why should that surprise us -- that God would want to pat us on the back?  Don't we long to hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant?" Matthew 25:21 And isn't He the ultimate daddy who is proud of us His children and wants to give us affirmation? I may be alone but I'm a little more comfortable with the idea that HE is the one who will get the praise, glory, and honor. Nevertheless, I'm not sure that's what this verse says.


So according to I Peter, my hope of heaven means that I have confident trust that my inheritance is imperishable, uncorrupted, unfading, and that God will tell me how proud He is of me. Now THAT is hope!


1 comment: