Sunday, September 18, 2016

Sun Shall Shine

Sun Shall Shine

Many of you are aware that I have recently found a love for drawing -- doodling with purpose. I've drawn well over 200 pieces that I've named and cataloged. I've had an art show at the Richmond Area Arts Council. I've got three pieces on display at UK Healthcare.  I've drawn things for new babies, for newlyweds, for Christmas presents, for graduation presents, and just for fun. But about two months ago, I put my drawing supplies in the corner out of the way and out of my mind.

Why would I do that? Because I was working through the illness and death of my sweet mother who lived with me. One day it dawned on me, though, that I hadn't drawn anything in awhile. And, of course, I knew why. I also knew that my creativity would return -- I just didn't know when.

Well, this week something happened at work. We lost a dear friend. When I learned of her grim diagnosis several months ago, I climbed into my husband's arms and wept. It just didn't seem fair. And it wasn't. She was buried on Friday -- way too soon. And it still isn't fair.

But you know what? My friend, like my mother, never lost hope. She embraced the "Sun Shall Shine" theme and people sent her pictures of sunrises and sunsets from the most amazing places on the earth. She always looked forward to tomorrow.

It was Friday that I saw this, her theme, on a lapel pin. It shattered the shackles of my brain and for the first time in several weeks I thought, "I can draw that." So I did.

Displaying image1.jpeg

And I got past the fact that I couldn't take it into her bedroom to show my mother like I had done with, oh, the last 200 pieces I had drawn. And as I write this, it is with tears in my eyes that I realize that my life really is going to go on without my mom. The sun shall shine -- with bright hope for tomorrow. And my hope rests solidly on the shoulders of my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, who is the son around whom my world revolves.

Thank you, Lord, for your tenderness with us as we walk through life's difficulties. Thank you that you hold the future in your hands and that you have wonderful things in store for us. We look forward to tomorrow.


2 comments: