Saturday, September 3, 2016

"Andrew Knows" 
Dealing with Hurt Feelings

I hurt "Andrew's" feelings not too long ago at work. I didn't really mean to but I did. What was particularly amazing about this situation was how he handled it. 

One morning, a couple of days after our conversation, Andrew appeared and asked to speak with me privately. He had spent some time in reflection and had come to the following conclusion:
   I had been right to talk to him that day.
   He had deserved the correction I had given him.
   But I had confronted him in front of my co-workers and it had hurt his feelings.
Now Andrew is a pretty conscientious guy. He is kindhearted and level-headed. And he had a good point. I listened to him intently, conceding that I should have chosen a different locale for our conversation. 

After some heartfelt discussion we shook hands -- actually I think I hugged him -- and that was that. Since then there hasn't been any tension between us. I think we're good. 

Andrew showed me how to deal with someone who had hurt his feelings. 
Which leads us into tomorrow's topic . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment