Monday, September 19, 2016

Hope Affixed to Grace Which Yields Holiness.

"Hope Affixed to Grace Which Yields Holiness"
Huh?

On the heels of teaching the people that they are to have hope, Peter delivers this line.

I Peter 1:13
Therefore, prepare your minds for action, keep sober in spirit, fix your hope completely on the grace to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. NASB

How do we prepare our minds?
According to the King James Version (KJV), we are to "gird up the loins of your mind." This brings to mind a man gathering up his robe between his legs and securing it with his belt so that he might be ready to participate in some type of rigorous activity.

The Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) says, "with minds that are ready for action...."

We are to avoid putting things in our minds that will alter our focus.  And, of course, we are to study Scripture and practice what it teaches.

What action are we getting ourselves into?
We could spend some time looking at this more closely, but I think one of the things that we will do is to enter into battle with Satan.  I definitely want to be ready for that kind of action!

What does "sober in spirit" mean?
The Living Bible (TLB) says, "look forward soberly and intelligently."  The HCSB says, "be serious." Sounds like it is time to get our game faces on.

What is this grace that we will have in the end?
According to the dictionary, grace is the free and unmerited favor of God. Perhaps we should look at that a bit, as well.

Based on the verse that comes next in I Peter, we are is to be obedient, to be set apart from the world, and to be holy.  Now THAT is something I want to spend a few days looking at.  How on earth are we who are wrought with sin to be holy? I personally don't think it is possible.

What do you think? Can we be holy?


2 comments:

  1. Rather than becoming holy, perhaps we find holiness. It seems that when I am seeking hope, being hopeful, trying to rely on this thing called hope, stepping forward in hope-that is the moment that I find myself suddenly wrapped in God's grace. At that monent, where hope meets grace- it seems I understand - and find myself experiencing the existence of "holiness".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather than becoming holy, perhaps we find holiness. It seems that when I am seeking hope, being hopeful, trying to rely on this thing called hope, stepping forward in hope-that is the moment that I find myself suddenly wrapped in God's grace. At that monent, where hope meets grace- it seems I understand - and find myself experiencing the existence of "holiness".

    ReplyDelete