Sunday, September 11, 2016

"Hope in the Midst of Horror"

"Hope in the Midst of Horror"

September 11, 2001 was a day we'll never forget.  The horror.  The fear. The shock. The suffocating magnitude of the tragedy.

For awhile our nation rallied together around our flag and stood in unity as a nation. We clung to the hope that we would recover and be even stronger than we were before. But as great as we were as a country, that was misplaced and empty hope. Wishful thinking.

Fifteen years later, we aren't much better. In fact, in many ways we are worse. So is that it? Is there no hope for us?

"If my people who are called by my name
will humble themselves and pray
and seek my face
and turn from their wicked ways,
then will I hear from heaven,
forgive their sin
and heal their land." II Chronicles 7:14

Yes, we have hope. If we do what is prescribed above, God will heal our land. We have the confident assurance that He will do what He has promised.

Today there were many memorial services for the 9/11 victims. I was reminded yet again of the horror of that day. But more importantly, I am reminded through God's promises that life is not hopeless.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."  Romans 15:13


4 comments:

  1. Words trickle into my consciousness, coming from the depths of my mind- from a song I love..
    "There's still hope
    For me today,
    For the God of heaven
    Loves me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words trickle into my consciousness, coming from the depths of my mind- from a song I love..
    "There's still hope
    For me today,
    For the God of heaven
    Loves me."

    ReplyDelete