Friday, March 19, 2021

Twenty-seventh Day of Lent

 Friday, March 19, 2021

Hallelujah!  He is risen!

A Lenten Devotional Guide

By Muriel Barton Kuhn 

Be not forgetful to entertain strangers; for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

Hebrews 13:2

Many years ago, my daughter, Laura, and I drove to the Jacksonville airport to pick up my niece, Emily. She bounced down the ramp to our loving welcome, but quickly remembered a promise. “Aunt Muriel, I must find a phone and call my mother to tell her I got here safe and sound.” We found a pay phone, made the call, and headed for the baggage claim area.

When the guard asked for the baggage stubs, Emily cried out, “My wallet! I don’t have my wallet!” We realized very quickly that she must have put it down when she was making her important telephone call. We realized just how large this international airport lobby actually was when we tried to find the exact bank of phones where she had made her call. There were so many phones! I tried to help the girls to relax about the whole thing and silently prayed, “Please, God, help this little girl find her wallet.” It almost seemed hopeless – almost. But I knew that with God all things are possible.

We were obviously distressed and a well-dressed man came to us and asked what was wrong. I told him our story and he said, “Was it brown? Why don’t you look at that phone over there?” In a matter of moments, Emily and Laura were jumping up and down in excitement, holding the brown wallet with all its money, tickets, and everything! I turned to thank the man, but he was nowhere to be seen. I could see in each direction for a good distance, but the man was not there! The three of us knew that in our need, God had showed himself to us as an ordinary person. We could not thank the man. Instead, we thanked God!

Lord, in such an incident as this we realize that you are always present. Please never let us forget that! Thank you for caring about a child and a lost purse. Amen

Hallelujah! He is Risen!
prepared for First United Methodist Church of Homosassa, Florida
Spring 2011
compiled by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator
reproduced and edited by Patience Fort

No comments:

Post a Comment