Saturday, March 20, 2021

Twenty-eighth Day of Lent

 Saturday, March 20, 2021

Hallelujah!  He is risen!

A Lenten Devotional Guide

By Connie Barton 

I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you.

II Timothy 1:5

My maternal grandmother lived with us, and I saw first-hand the pain and suffering she endured and how she persevered with trust in God.

When I was about eight, she had cataract surgery in one eye, and I remember her excitement at being able to see again. However, a serious infection later required that her eye be surgically removed. After a time, she had cataract surgery in her other eye only to have the same thing occur a short time later requiring the removal of that one, too.

When Grandma returned home from the hospital, she was confused about direction and had difficulty getting around the house. But I watched her persevere! Every morning she carefully cleansed her eye sockets and inserted glass eyes. She lived a comfortable life for several years, learning to navigate the rooms in our home and enjoying some independence.

My mother always said, “God works in mysterious ways, His wonders to perform.” Perhaps one of God’s mysterious ways was to allow me to learn many lessons about life and accepting difficulty by watching my Grandma accept her blindness and to live comfortably. Perhaps like Timothy at least a portion of my faith can be attributed to my Grandma and my Mother as they lived out their faith before me.

Lord, help me to be a person from whom others can learn about you and who will make them want to know you. Amen

Hallelujah! He is Risen!
prepared for First United Methodist Church of Homosassa, Florida
Spring 2011
compiled by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator
reproduced and edited by Patience Fort

No comments:

Post a Comment