Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Thirty-first day of Lent

 

Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Hallelujah!  He is risen!

A Lenten Devotional Guide

By Myrna Evans

 For my part, my brothers, I could not speak to you as I should speak to people who have the Spirit. I had to deal with you on the merely natural plane, as infants in Christ. And so I gave you milk to drink, instead of solid food, for which you were not yet ready.

I Corinthians 3:1-2a NEB

A pastor began his sermon with this story: During the night a Mom and Dad heard a great thud coming from their young son’s room. They rushed in to find him sitting on the floor rubbing his eyes. “What happened?” the parents asked. The little boy answered, “I fell asleep too close to where I got in!”

As Christians we often have the same problem. We come to know Christ and revel in the experience. We want to sustain the joy of that moment but it can’t happen. Like the wonder of first love or the exhilaration of reaching a mountaintop, we cannot stay there forever. Like that first love, faith must either grow or it will die. Saint Paul asks why we still need baby food when we ought to be consuming things of more substance. If we would truly walk with Jesus, the Gospels tell us clearly what we must do. Let’s not fall asleep too close to where we got in!

Dear God, open our hearts and minds to your will and your Word. Keep us growing in our faith and help us to walk humbly in your Way. Amen

Hallelujah! He is Risen!
prepared for First United Methodist Church of Homosassa, Florida
Spring 2011
compiled by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator
reproduced and edited by Patience Fort

No comments:

Post a Comment