Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Twelfth Day of Lent

 Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Hallelujah!  He is risen!

A Lenten Devotional Guide

By Wallace Nave

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.
Proverbs 3:5-6 NAS

Years ago, we were in an era that had no cable and an area that got poor TV reception. I determined that I would build and install a good antenna, high enough to pick up the stations some miles away in Nashville.

Finally with the tower carefully cemented into the ground, the antenna itself had to be raised and lowered into the hole at the top of the tower. I wrapped a good rope around my waist and secured it to the tower so that if I slipped it would hold me. I made a hoist to raise the antenna and climbed the tower.

I had two problems. I really do not like heights and I had a wife on the ground who kept encouraging me with such words as, “Oh, no! You’re going to fall!” or “Please don’t look down!” I also found that the antenna was too heavy for me to manipulate with one hand. I’d have to turn loose of the tower and use both hands to put the antenna in place.

Finally, I mustered the courage, leaned back against the rope, turned loose of the tower, and put the antenna into its groove. At that moment, these words came into my mind: “I am much more dependable than your rope. Lean back on me and trust me with your life as you have just trusted this rope.” I leaned back and surveyed the world from my lofty perch. I could hardly wait to get to the ground to tell Pat what had happened.

Sounds simple, but really trusting God has been a great challenge. I lean, and He never lets me down! The longer I live the more grateful I am for Jesus who is my friend and who allows me to lean – on a daily basis.

Father, thank you for giving me your Son to climb towers with me all through life and to hold me so that I don’t fall. And thank you for Easter and the life I know because of Him. Amen.

 

Hallelujah! He is Risen!
prepared for First United Methodist Church of Homosassa, Florida
Spring 2011
compiled by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator
reproduced and edited by Patience Fort

No comments:

Post a Comment