Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Thirtieth Day of Lent

 Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Hallelujah!  He is risen!

A Lenten Devotional Guide

By Myrna Evans

“…for I was hungry and you gave me food…thirsty and you gave me drink…a stranger and you welcomed me…naked and you clothed me…sick and you visited me…in prison and you came to me.” Then the righteous will answer him, “Lord, when did we see thee hungry and feed thee, or thirsty and give thee drink…sick or in prison and visit thee?” And the King will answer them, “Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to me.”

Matthew 25:35-40 RSV

Recently Dick and I visited Americus, Georgia where we spent some time at Koinonia Farm, an interracial Christian Community established by Clarence Jordan in 1942. At that time segregation was the only way of life known to the folks in that rural area. Mr. Jordan was an ordained Baptist pastor, he had a degree in agriculture and a Ph.D. in New Testament Greek. He could have had all kinds of prestigious jobs but God called him to return to the place where he grew up and address the problems of racial injustice and poverty. He organized this community where black and white, rich and poor shared their resources and enabled one another. Out of this community came the vision for “Habitat for Humanity.” Clarence believed that the modern church has so glorifed Jesus that we have forgotten why he came as a “human.” Pastor Jordan truly followed the teachings of Jesus. He spent himself to do his Master’s will. Pastor Jordan died at the young age of 57 and as his body was lowered into the grave a little two year old girl named Faith sang “Happy Birthday.” Clarence and Faith understood what it meant to have a “resurrection faith.” Do we?

Dear Lord, Give us a “resurrection faith” that will enable us to be both bold and humble in your service.

Hallelujah! He is Risen!
prepared for First United Methodist Church of Homosassa, Florida
Spring 2011
compiled by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator
reproduced and edited by Patience Fort

 

No comments:

Post a Comment