Saturday, March 6, 2021

Sixteenth Day of Lent

 Saturday, March 6, 2021

Hallelujah!  He is risen!

A Lenten Devotional Guide 

And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men.
Luke 2:52 NAS 

As I read about the last days in Jesus’ life, I am keenly aware of his wonderful maturity. As a young person, I often excused myself from thinking deeply about some of the things that he faced that were difficult by saying, “well, HE could handle that because HE was God.” I failed to remember that though my mind cannot totally understand how this is possible, he was both 100% God and 100% man. So when he “handled” things, I must take into account that “the man side” was facing things similar to those that I face.

So he “increased.” I think that I accept without any serious consideration that the stature was expected. He was a baby and he became a man as he aged. But what about “in wisdom?” He really didn’t always know everything – especially as a baby and a young  boy. That is a huge thought to me, and it means he had to study his Bible, talk to his Father, and learn spiritual truths. By doing that he actually grew in favor (as King James says) with his Father, for through it he learned – as a man – exactly what his Father expected of him. And he increased in favor with men, as he was loyal to his disciples, providing for them the role model that would be so important to them – as they walked together and in their ministry after he had returned to heaven.

Isn’t God amazing?! That he would know how important it would be for us to have a real, live human being to relate to so that we could know what he expects of us.

Father, thank you for this wonderful Savior whom you sent to us and for the example he is to us in his life as well as in his death. Help me to grow in wisdom, in stature, and in favor with you and with men. Amen

 

Hallelujah! He is Risen!
prepared for First United Methodist Church of Homosassa, Florida
Spring 2011
compiled by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator
reproduced and edited by Patience Fort

No comments:

Post a Comment