Saturday, April 21, 2018

Important Spiritual Gifts

Saturday, April 21, 2018

 by Bill Wright

Director of Senior Adult Ministries

First Baptist Church

Richmond, KY

 

The time was the early 1970’s. Those were the days of David Carradine, Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee with flying fists and feet. Karate and Judo studios were opening for business across the land, including the small town in which I lived. So like a multitude of other young men of my age, I signed up for Karate lessons with visions of daring deeds such as breaking concrete blocks or defending innocent victims. And in the process if I impressed some young lady, that would be okay too. After all, that’s the way it worked in the movies. 

 

However, as I studied and practiced I discovered something very important. While I could become adept at moves, kicks, punches and could increase strength and flexibility, I still faced the limit of natural athletic ability. My months of instruction were profitable for me but I realized that I would be wise to never step into a ring with Bruce Lee. That would not end well. I was not gifted with the speed, agility and reflexes of an elite athlete. 

 

The Bible instructs us that the disciple of Jesus has natural talents but also is gifted for service to Christ in specific ways. Paul wrote to the Corinthian church that “There are varieties of gifts but the same Spirit…But one and the same Spirit works in all these things, distributing to each one individually just as he wills. (I Corinthians 12:4 & 11 NASB

 

The Holy Spirit works through the life of each believer in a variety of ways in order to accomplish his good work based on his infinite wisdom. 

 

Yet too often disciples of Jesus make the mistake of comparing their place of service with another and in doing so undervaluing their own gift or that of the other. This never ends well. Pride, jealousy or discouragement waits at the end of that path. 

 

It is important to remember that the Spirit of God with his infinite wisdom has gifted each of us as he determined best for the common goodThere is no unimportant person or gift. When we each embrace that reality then the body is unified, is strengthened and is most effective. 

 

Today, give thanks for your gifts of service and commit to allow God to use them well in and through your life for His purpose. 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment