Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Top 10 Resolutions: Make No Resolutions

Top 10 New Year’s Resolutions:
Make No Resolutions

I hate New Years resolutions. Why? Because it takes me about 2 seconds (so to speak) to prove myself a total FAILURE. And I don't like to feel that way. So I resolve not to make any resolutions. 

But there's a spiritual lesson to be discovered here. I've investigated several other religions in my lifetime which base their eternal destiny on how well they do here on earth. Call it a salvation of works. Call it self-help. Call it eternal progression. Call it whatever you want to call it. The reality is, no matter how hard we try, we always fall short of perfection. We just can't do it. 

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
Romans 3:23 NIV

Thankfully my place in eternity has been secured by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. 

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this:
While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8 NIV

So if you don't currently have a personal relationship with the Lord, here is what you do to start a new life with Him. 

“If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,”
and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead,
 you will be saved.
For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified,
and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭10:9-10‬ ‭NIV‬‬

Make resolutions or don't make resolutions. Just understand that what you can do on your own is limited by your humanity. And don't be surprised when you fall flat on your face. Sorry. That's just the way it is.

Instead, commit your life to Christ and develop your personal relationship with Him. Then you can say with confidence,


"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
Philippians 4:13 NKJV

Lord, thank you that my place in heaven is not dependent on my ability to be perfect because I definitely am not. Thank you that righteousness is available as a free gift through your Son. Help me to share this good news with more people this year, that they may experience Your freedom and peace and fullness of life. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment