Monday, January 9, 2017

Ephesians 6:4

January 9, 2017

Being Prepared for 2017:
Good Parenting

Not all of us are parents. But the importance of this passage should not be lost in translation.
Fathers, do not exasperate your children; instead, bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord. Ephesians 6:4

When I was younger, I thought this was a strange command. What parent would intentionally push the buttons of their children? 

Then I became a parent. Once the children got to a certain age, it became a little easier to understand how I could exasperate them. Most of the time I think just my existence was all it took -- what normal teenager isn't fed up with his or her parent at some time or another?!

But there have been times when I have pushed their buttons on purpose -- and later regretted it. I think God knew what He was doing when he warned me not to do this. I can see how it could drive a pretty permanent wedge between us if I did it with regularity. I'm supposed to nurture them and give them unconditional love -- not be the source or turmoil. 

And I'm also supposed to teach them spiritually -- not leave that up to the church to do. Don't misunderstand me. I feel like children need the experience of regular church involvement. But nothing should take the place of learning Christian principles because we experience them at home. And if I'm being difficult with them, why would my children ever listen to anything spiritual from me?

I also feel very strongly that how we treat other people should follow this same Ephesians directive: we shouldn't be argumentative or difficult with ANYone. We should live out Christian attitudes in order that ALL people could see Jesus in us. 

Lord, help us to treat our children and all people with respect. And give us the wisdom to know how to most effectively share you with them.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment