Monday, January 16, 2017

Ephesians 6:15 – Be Prepared for 2017

January 16, 2017
Be Prepared for 2017:
Shoes from the Gospel of Peace

Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Ephesians 6:14-17

Who would you want to go into battle barefooted? Not me.
Would you want to fight in flip flops? I guess that would be better than barefoot -- maybe. They’d probably trip me up.
Would you dare attempt it in 4 inch heels? I’d break my ankle, for sure.
Of course, I love my dad’s caricature of little “Onward” the Christian Soldier wearing Converses.
If I had to go into battle, though, I would want to have my feet fully protected with the best boots available.

Likewise we should go into spiritual battle with the proper preparation for our spiritual feet.
Interestingly enough, if you look up “armor of God” on the Internet, you pretty much always see the feet labeled, “PEACE.”
Is that what this scripture says?

I like the idea of going into spiritual battle with my foundation being the concept of peace.
I’m no theologian and I may really be going out on a limb.
I wonder if the shoes should really be labeled, “GOSPEL.” And it just so happens that the Gospel or Good News of Jesus Christ is one of peace and not of bloodshed.
If that’s the case, then I like that idea better.
In our current world, it seems that violence in the name of religion is much more popular than peace.
Our Bible proclaims, though, that, Blessed are the Peacemakers, for they will be called the children of God.” Matthew 5:9
Yes, I want my shoes to be protected by this gospel and not by any other.
But wait.

This scripture in Ephesians actually says, “and with your feet fitted with the READINESS that comes from the gospel of peace.”

So because of the life, death, and resurrection of our Lord, Jesus Christ, we can claim a “readiness” for battle that we cannot provide for ourselves. It is only from God, Himself.
And He facilitates our being “ready to stand.”

Lord, thank you again for your provision for us. We know we are going to have to fight spiritual battles in this life. But more and more we understand that you have provided the perfect armor through your son. It's up to us to put it on. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment