Saturday, January 28, 2017

Sticks and Stones can Break My Bones

Words Can Soothe the Soul
January 28, 2017

Do you remember the old rhyme:
Sticks and stones can break my bones
But words will never hurt me.
Why did we teach this to our children? It's a flat out LIE! Words can rip you up and spit you out. OR they can soothe your very soul.

One day this week at work, I had the opportunity to brainstorm with one of the nurse managers about some things I had on my mind. During the course of conversation, she shared some pretty flattering things with me about my co-worker and me. I can't tell you how soothing it was. She had no idea that the day before I had had the rug pulled out from under me, so to speak, and I was still struggling to put one foot in front of the other as a result. This complimentary salve was so sweet and its timing was perfect.
Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.  Proverbs 16:24
How often do we take the opportunity to tell someone how much they mean to us? I don't know about you but it is a little uncomfortable for me to tell even my closest friends or family that I appreciate them because they are so __________ (kind, caring, unselfish, smart, entertaining, compassionate, or whatever). Instead of thanking them for something they have said or done, we should practice telling them how much we love their character. You never know when they need that sweet healing.

LORD, You are so wonderful. You are generous. You are loving. You are so patient with me. You are always with me even when I don't recognize your presence. Your love for me is incomprehensible. You alone are worthy of all praise and adoration. I love you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment