Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Cycle of Sin

Sin
Wrath 
Oppression
Repentance
Deliverance

I used to read the Old Testament and think, "Those Israelites were stupid. You'd think they would have learned from their mistakes!" They would turn from God (sin), make God angry, get hauled off to some foreign land for manual labor (oppression), finally figure out their error (repentance), get delivered (prophets/judges), and repeat. 

Somewhere along the way in my life I realized I was no different from the Israelites. Now I'm not so quick to point a finger at them. 

How do we break this cycle of sin in our lives?
  • It helps to see our past clearly. If we honestly look at our pattern of sin, we can do one of two things: ignore it and keep on sinning or recognize it and avoid it. 
  • Breaking the cycle requires determination on our part and the conscious decision not to sin. 
  • It requires total dependence on God. 
  • It means staying in the word so that we can recognize God's direction in our lives. 
I don't know about you but I don't want to have a wall between God and me (sin).
I don't want to anger the Lord. 
I don't want to experience oppression--to be held captive by my adversary (Satan).
I want to be quick to turn from my mistakes (repent).
I want deliverance from it all (through Jesus).  

So why am I so stupid? Why don't I learn from my mistakes?

Because, like the Israelites, I'm human. 

It's a good thing God doesn't expect me to earn my place in heaven because I'd be up a creek without a boat! 

LORD, thank you for your grace which flows so freely. I am so unworthy of your love. Thank you for giving it to me anyway!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment