Wednesday, May 2, 2018

A Needle In the Haystack

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Have you ever hunted for a "needle" in a "haystack?"
Have you ever found it?
Have you ever found something else even more unexpected while searching for such a "needle?"

This happened to me yesterday after work.

I went to work early yesterday morning like normal and went back out to my car at the end of the day like normal. Only this time, my car (which is apparently smarter than I am) knew I didn't have my key fob with me (keyless entry and push-to-start). Wait! What? How did I get to work if I didn't have my key? Well, clearly I had it when I drove in that morning. But what happened to it? It lives in my bag. I don't take it out. But it clearly wasn't there. It had vanished into thin air.

I was talking to my sister at the time that I realized I had no key fob. I mentally walked through my day and decided that the only real possibility was that I had left my key in my scrub pants when I returned them to the OR scrub machine at 6:30 yesterday morning. Great. So I hoofed it back to the hospital and to the OR to see if anyone had a key to the return bin. Sure enough. I got access to the bin.

I wish I had taken a picture of what was inside the bin when I opened up the big door. I'm guessing there were probably 1000 scrub pieces in there -- tops, pants, jackets -- all but two were worn by someone else. How on earth would I find mine without it taking forever?

Well, I happened to know that the scrubs get emptied at about 5:30 each morning and I added my shirt and pants at 6:30am. So mine would be at the bottom of the pile. I pulled all of the scrubs out into the floor except for about 50 on the bottom. One by one I started there, feeling each of the pockets.

I probably went through about 40 or 50 articles before I heard the little jingle of my key. Hooray! I found it! But do you know what? I found some other things while I was looking: a grocery list, some chap stick, and two 5 dollar bills! I shoved all the scrubs back into the machine, locked it up, and promptly went to wash my hands! And to celebrate!

How important are we to the Lord? Much more so than a silly key fob. I sure did hunt diligently for that thing. But don't you think God searches much more persistently for us when we find ourselves lost in a giant heap of dirty clothes? He needs us much more than I need my car key. And He even blesses us with a few little serendipitous finds along the way to help us celebrate being found.

Lord, thank you for helping me think through where my fob might have been yesterday. Thank you for giving me the patience to go through that huge bin of dirty clothes. And thank you for the little prize I found in the process. But most of all, thank you for delivering me from my haystack and for bringing me to you. I once was lost but now I'm found! Thank you.


tibco.com

No comments:

Post a Comment