Saturday, June 30, 2018

The Girl is Behind the Wheel

Saturday, June 30, 2018

June 2014
from Maggie's Journal

You know, things have changed a little bit around here. I don't feel like I am any older but The Girl sure is. I can remember when I first got here. She was not much bigger than I was. Now she is almost as big as my Alpha.

And do you know how I know she is growing up? Because recently she started climbing into the four-wheel and taking off -- BY HERSELF.  What are my Hairless and my Alpha thinking? She can't be old enough to do that! Have you seen how BIG these four-wheels are? How can she possibly control such a contraption? 

I don't understand it. But everyone seems to be okay with it. It's a good thing I'm not a mother!

Well one day this week I was outside with my Buddy when The Girl came out of the house and flitted over to the four-wheel. She closed herself up inside and disappeared over the hill. A little while later she came back with one of my favorite foods and everybody else came outside to join us. My Smoothskins sat around eating while my Buddy and I looked on -- licking our lips and waiting for an opportunity to do the dishes. Soon they all got finished and placed their bowls on the ground for us. I love this stuff. It is cold and sticky and we typically only get it when it is warm outside. So maybe The Girl should go off by herself more often if it means that she is going to bring this yummy stuff home.


Maggie came to Kentucky in November of 2005 after being separated from her Smoothskins in Mississippi after Hurricane Katrina made landfall. She recorded her thoughts over the years about the adjustments she made in the culture of her new home and about the family who took her in.  




No comments:

Post a Comment