Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The Trinity

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

The concept of the triune God in Christianity is hard to wrap my mind around. According to Genesis, God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were present at the creation. And numerous passages account for the Trinity throughout the Bible. Did you know, though, that the actual term, Trinity, does not appear anywhere in the Old or New Testaments? It didn’t come into the Christian vocabulary until the first few centuries after Christ. 

This is how I understand the Trinity. It is a meager explanation, I’ll admit. But it satisfies my limited mind. 

I’ll use myself as an example for my illustration. 

I am a wife. 
I am a mother. 
I am a pharmacist. 
There is no place where my motherhood, for instance, stops and my role as wife begins. I cannot separate one from the other. I am 100% wife. 100% mother. 100% pharmacist. Yet I am one person. 

Similarly God is 100% Father, 100% Son, and 100% Spirit. Yet He is one God. 

Now I recognize that this is not a very theological explanation. But sometimes there has to be an element of faith involved in Christianity. God says He is the One and only God. He has never done or said anything to me that indicates that He is capable of lying to me. So I believe Him. 

I believe in the Trinity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment