Saturday, March 3, 2018

God’s Will

Saturday, March 3, 2018


by Jeff Prosser

Baptist Campus Minister

Eastern Kentucky University

 

I love being a dad.  I mean I really love being a dad to my two children.  They bring me a lot of joy.  What do I love specifically about being a dad? That would require more time and space than this blog arena allows. But one of my favorite things is how my children ask me random questions about, well, random things.  And as a dad I love to help answer their questions.  That’s what dads do, right?

 

Here’s a loaded question for you.  If you could ask God one question — just one — what would it be?  As a college pastor I ask that question of students all the time.  Over the past six years, do you know what the number one question is?  I mean, it’s not even close.  Here it is.  


“What’s my purpose in life?”  

 

It’s a great question to wrestle with. How do you really know the will of God?  I think it’s something that we’ve made out to be very complicated.  


I’ve got books upon books about knowing the will of God, and after reading themI usually walk away even more confused.  If knowing God’s will can be found by reading certain books, then bring them on.  But typically they tend to make me more confused.

 

What if we were able to live in the days of biblical prophets where God would speak the way He did in His word?  What if we were able to sit down with Moses and Jeremiah right now and say “how insightful it would have been to live back in your day.” I think they would say, “Wait a minute…are you crazy?! Are you serious?? You have the entire Bible in your possession!

 

A lot of Christians say, “I want to know God’s will,” but they will never read or study God’s word Listen to this. Write it downGod’s Word is His will. You and I will never know God’s will outside of His word.  If you really want to know God’s will for your life then begin reading, meditating and memorizing His word.  God wants his will to be made knowto us.  What kind of Heavenly Father would He be if he didn’t want that to be made known?  He’s a good, good Father so ask questions; He’ll answer. That’s what dads do, right?

 

Therefore, I urge you brothers, in the view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship.  Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – His good, pleasing and perfect will.

Romans 12:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment