Monday, March 26, 2018

Holy Monday

Monday, March 26, 2018

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it. “Love your neighbor as yourself.” All the law and the prophets hang on these two commandments.
Matthew 22:37-40 (NIV)

It is dangerous to be too familiar with a Scripture. Familiarity can make us rush right through a passage and not hear the gentle voice of God saying, “Wait a minute. You missed something.” So it is with this passage.

Love the Lord with all your heart. What do we love? I love my freedom, to be able to do as I please, when I please. I love spending time doing the things that I enjoy – reading, writing, visiting and talking with friends. So what if God asks me to interrupt that doing-as-I-please mode? What if he asks me to come and sit quietly with him, reading and studying his word, listening to what he may want to say to me in the Scriptures? What if he wants me to teach a children’s class, or serve on a committee, or go to some distant land to help someone I don’t know? Love the Lord with all your heart? Isn’t that a little close to fanaticism? Does he really mean all?

With all my soul? I’m not even sure exactly what my soul is. That something inside me that has no shape or form, where my will resides, where my moral attitudes lie, that will someday leave my body when I die? So if I love him with my soul, must my will and my morality conform to his will and his guidelines for life and eternity? Is this his plan for me? No small thing he’s asking!

With all my mind? With all my mind that is being guided by my soul that is trying to please him in thought and action? That means no space for being mad at someone, no time for complaining about things I don’t like, no worrying about things that are not for me to decide, studying so that I will know what his will for me is. This first commandment gets harder and harder!

Love your neighbor as yourself. I have a real problem with this. Sometimes I don’t even like myself, much less love myself! Suddenly it seems that God is saying that I must love not only others but me! I’m simply not always easy to love.

Ten Commandments just got reduced to two, and they seem harder to keep than the ten! But they must have been very important. Jesus had very little time left on earth, and he used it to remind disciples about important things! Love God most! Love others. Don’t forget to love yourself. When I look at them carefully, I realize this is a pretty big commandment! A huge commandment!

Prayer: Father, the Pharisees asked Jesus about the greatest commandment and he answered very clearly – love you, others and ourselves. We fail. We have a long way to go in living lives that please you. As we move through this Holy Week, remind us of these important words of our Lord, and help us to live what we have heard you say! Thank you for Jesus who died for our failures and lives to help us not fail again. Amen.

Holy Week Devotional
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, March 2008,
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Coordinator

blog.avasflowers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment