Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Why Are We Here?

What is the meaning of life?
Why am I here?

Have you heard these comments?
I just want to blend in. 
I don't want to be singled out. 
I don't want to be different. 
Or
I want to be myself. 
I don't want to be like the others. 
I want to be famous. 
Or
I just want to help others. 
I just want to make a difference. 
I want to discover something important. 

So what is it that we really want out of life?
  • happiness
  • fame
  • fortune
  • family
  • security for the afterlife 
You know, I really can't answer this question outside of Scripture, for it is because of God that I am who I am and that I have any value. Without Him I am nothing. Because of Him my life means everything. 

Does that mean that I am the product of a cookie cutter mold and that all believers are the same? Absolutely not. 

Does that mean that God knew exactly what he was doing when he made me with this personality and temperament? Absolutely. 

Tonight I leave you with a quote from Ralph Emerson. It's a good springboard to what I want to share tomorrow from II Peter. So stay tuned. 

The purpose of life is not to be happy.
It is to be useful, 
to be honorable, 
to be compassionate, 
to have it make some difference 
that you have lived and lived well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment