Monday, April 15, 2019

Devotional Guide—April 15

 Monday, April 15, 2019 
Praise:  Our Response to
God’s Generosity and Grace
“These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full.” John 15:11

Isn’t it amazing that Jesus can be just hours away from the worst kind of death man can devise, and yet he talks to his disciples about joy? No hint of complaint. No pity party. He knew that his Father wanted the awful chasm between him and man removed. Though agony awaited him, he could honestly speak of the joy he felt in completing what his Father had sent him to do. Right to the bitter end he was about his Father’s business.

But let’s don’t miss the fact that there are two kinds of joy here. First there was the joy he felt in knowing that they had learned the foundational things they needed to continue the ministry he began. I think about my children and grandchildren, and the wonderful joy I feel inside when they have learned some lesson well. It’s a very tangible feeling. I have great joy in them.

Then there is the joy that he is giving to them, his joy in work well done. They are going to be devastated when the trial begins and the crucifixion occurs, but he says he wants their joy to be full. They will suffer persecution when they begin the church he’s commissioning, but he wants them to be full of joy.

We serve a joyful Christ. He wants joyful followers! Are we?

Prayer: Father, with David we pray, “restore to me the joy of your salvation and renew a right Spirit within me.” Amen

“I am the resurrection and the life.” John 11:25
Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2009
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Director







No comments:

Post a Comment