Friday, April 12, 2019

Devotional Guide -- April 12

Friday, April 12, 2019
Jesus, the Christ


“I will sing a new song to thee, O God; upon a stringed harp I will play to thee.” Psalm 144.9
“Make a joyful noise unto the Lord.” Psalm 100:1

I would just love to be able to do what Joy Potts does, to sit at the organ and play wondrous melodies that come out of my own head in praise to God! Sunday after Sunday her music is worship, and I love the expressions on her face as she plays, her body erect and her hands and feet moving so perfectly. She worships and her music encourages me to worship. I will never be able to do what she does, but that is no excuse.

Psalm 100 says, “Make a joyful noise.” That I should be able to do. From Joy, God knows he can expect lovely music. From me, he may be able to expect only noise – but at least joyful noise! My guess is that he is equally glad to receive both, if out of our hearts we are singing a song of joy to him as we have and enjoy fellowship with him. If we are singing gratitude to him that we are his and he is ours, I’m hoping that even my noise sounds like a melody to him.

Perhaps our music isn’t beautiful to others, but God desires to hear our words and sounds bubbling up in thanksgiving for who he is and what he has done. Perhaps I should not complain that Joy’s music is lovely; mine is noise.

Prayer: Father, we want our songs to bring joy to you. Thank you for accepting both our melodies and our noise as we sing from our hearts. Amen.

“I am the resurrection and the life.” John 11:25
Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2009
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Director






No comments:

Post a Comment