Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Devotional Guide -- April 3

Wednesday, April 3, 2019
Jesus, the Christ

“Therefore, since we are justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.” Romans 5:1

Bragging is a most unattractive trait. We are taught as little children never to brag. If we do something great, let someone else tell about it! If we are given an expensive gift, something very lovely that we are dying to show others, wait until someone asks to see. Don’t brag! Uncouth!

But today’s Scripture won’t fit into that childhood training. Today we read in Romans that we are justified and that we have peace! If God has given us these gifts, are they not too great to keep to ourselves – especially when others may not know that they’re available?

So if I say that I stand before God justified, that is not bragging. That’s fact. We’re later told in the New Testament that our justification is “not by works of righteousness that we have done, but according to his mercy.” So, if God has imputed his righteousness to me through no merit of my own, it is not bragging to recognize this lovely gift.

And if I have peace for the same reason – not through my own efforts but because he wants me to know peace and has given it to me, should I not share that with others?

Prayer: Father, Thank you that you have given us the righteousness and justification that Jesus earned for us! Thank you that we know we are at peace with you because he earned that for us! Amen.

“I am the resurrection and the life.” John 11:25
Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2009
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Director







No comments:

Post a Comment