Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Devotional Guide -- April 2

Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Jesus, the Christ

“Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, ‘I am the light of the world; he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.’” John 8:12

As some of you know, I sold my home in August, the home we built and in which I had lived for 20 years. I could walk around in that house in the dark, knowing exactly where every turn was, where every piece of furniture was, and any obstacle. Then I bought another, and I had to learn so many things!

Not only could I not navigate as easily in the dark, I often could not remember on which side of the wall the light switches were located. And I had no idea what several light switches were for! I flipped them, and nothing happened. It’s been six months, and I still have a couple that seem to have no reason for existence. So I flip them and no light appears. I still sometimes stumble around in darkness.

I often think of the verse above when I am trying to get some light in the darkness at night. It’s a terrible feeling not to be able to find light.

As Christians we don’t have to worry about that. We flip the light switch of our faith, and there is Jesus to give us light for our walk, to take us out of the spiritual darkness. His life-giving light removes our anxiety in the darkness and illumines our walk as we trust him.

Prayer: Father, we thank you that Jesus is the light of our own personal world, keeping us from walking in spiritual darkness. Amen.

“I am the resurrection and the life.” John 11:25
Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2009
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Director


No comments:

Post a Comment