Thursday, April 4, 2019

Devotional Guide -- April 4

Thursday, April 4, 2019
Jesus, the Christ

“Jesus said [to Thomas], ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but by me.” John 14:6

I drove to Kentucky during the Christmas holidays, and coming home, I stopped to visit friends. They live close to I-75, and getting back to the highway should have been easy. It was not. I hate being lost, and I was lost. Several people tried to help me, but they suggested first this way and then that. Good advice perhaps but not the way that I needed to find!

Driving along I was grateful for the verse above! Jesus does not say that he is a way. He says he is the way. We do not have to go wandering down some foreign spiritual road, hoping that we are traveling the right way. If Jesus is not the center of that spiritual road, no matter how good and inviting it may sound, it is not the way.

If he is not the focus of the teaching of a spiritual group, the group may be good, but it is not the church that Jesus said he would build on Peter’s statement of faith (Thou art the Christ, the Son of the Living God). If any spiritual group does not recognize him as the source of their life, the group is not the life that Jesus promises in John 14.

If we have a poor sense of spiritual direction, it is very easy to get lost, to get off on the wrong spiritual highway and have difficulty getting back. That’s where God’s Word comes to help!

Prayer: Father, thank you that we can follow your Son and your Word – that we can know the right road home to you! Amen.

“I am the resurrection and the life.” John 11:25
Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2009
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Director





No comments:

Post a Comment