Thursday, March 28, 2019

Devotional Guide -- March 28

Thursday, March 28, 2019
The Holy Bible: 
God Speaks to Man

“Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not sin against thee.” Psalm 119:11

Isn’t it interesting that we can remember exactly what something at the grocery store costs, especially if it’s a bargain? Or when the price of gas goes up, we can tell you exactly what it costs in Inverness, at Sam’s in Hernando County, and at the station nearest us.

When someone says something to us that hurts our feelings, we quote their remark verbatim for weeks, hashing and rehashing the confrontation in our minds.

We can remember the best hand we ever had at bridge and can tell you who held what in each of the other three hands. Or we can give you a blow-by-blow of how many strokes on each hole it took to play the best golf match of our careers.

But when it comes to memorizing Scripture, we usually say something like this: “I was never good at memorizing when I was young, and now I just cannot do it.” Pretty flimsy excuse. Memorizing is more work than it was when we were young, but we can still do it if we want to. And that Word is every bit as important to our spiritual health as is whatever medicine we take to control our physical aches and pains. The psalmist says that hiding God’s Word in our hearts protects us from sin. I don’t know about you, but I know I need all the protection I can get!

Prayer: Father, cause us to realize how good it is for us to know your word so that we will not offend you with our sin. Amen.

“I am the resurrection and the life.” John 11:25
Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2009
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Director






No comments:

Post a Comment