Friday, March 15, 2019

Devotional Guide -- March 15

Friday, March 15, 2019
The Seekers: God and Man

“But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things shall be yours as well.” Matthew 6:33

How do we go about seeking the kingdom? And what are the things that will be added if we do seek?

Kingdom living isn’t easy right now. News is awful! Our comfort is threatened. Manufacturing companies, stores, restaurants, even banks are closing every day. Things don’t look good. How do we live a kingdom life in this financial mess?

I got good advice from a child at Christmas when I was on my way home from Kentucky. I stopped in Atlanta to spend the night with three of my Chinese children. At dinner, the father – a financial analyst – asked me if things were okay with me. To his surprise, I told him I really don’t know. I added that I have decided that God has taken care of me well for so long, and right now I can either listen to the news and get scared, or I can continue to trust God to take care of me. Jason, the eleven year old son of my friends, smiled, gave me a thumbs up sign, and said. “Right! If God is your pilot, let him pilot.” I think young Jason recognized kingdom living — living in trust that God is able to take care of us even in an economic crisis.

It is interesting that the promise is, then, that all these things will be ours as well. These things, which you’ll find if you read the rest of Matthew 6, are food, clothes, water – the necessities of life!

Prayer: Father, Help us to really learn what it means to be kingdom people! Help us to look to you and to trust you. Amen.

“I am the resurrection and the life.” John 11:25
Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2009
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Director



No comments:

Post a Comment