Thursday, March 21, 2019

Devotional Guide -- March 21

Thursday, March 21, 2019
The Holy Bible: 
God Speaks to Man

“Open my eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law…. Give me understanding, that I may keep thy law and observe it with my whole heart.” Psalm 119:18, 34

The entire 176 verses of this wonderful psalm are filled with challenge and promise, both searching and longing – sometimes on the part of man and sometimes on the part of God.

Eight times the psalmist painfully cries out, “Give me understanding,” and in other places he simply implies a great need to comprehend. Seven times he begs, “Teach me.” The whole chapter is about law. Looking at it closely, we recognize the cry of a man who longs to please his Lord. Without a doubt, this psalm can become a guide to our study and our own seeking.

When we don’t understand what God is saying in his Word, we can say to him just that! “Help me! I just do not understand what you are saying to me. I need you to help me understand.” Often that leads to some obscure passage in the Scriptures that reveals something that we have never seen before. Other times it leads to worship and thanksgiving that is so spontaneous we know God himself has led us to a time of rejoicing in him.

Prayer: Father, we want to seek you. Teach us to do that earnestly, in a way that pleases you. Amen.

“I am the resurrection and the life.” John 11:25
Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2009
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Director



No comments:

Post a Comment