Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Devotional Guide -- March 20

Wednesday, March 20, 2019
The Holy Bible: 
God Speaks to Man

“The Law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes. Psalm 19:2-8, 10a

One of those stern teachers from my childhood gave us this poem to memorize. At the time, though I didn’t understand a lot of what I was learning, I worked so hard to remember all of it. Someday I hope to see her in heaven and tell her how important to my whole life this psalm has been. Often parts of it rise from the depths of my childhood memory bank to encourage me.

Look closely. The Law – that old strict, demanding, perfect Old Testament Law – is simple, pure, and right. It revives, enlightens, and rejoices! If that is true, why do we – do I – look everywhere else for something to revive, enlighten, and rejoice!

Today as I write this, I am lonely and guilty of thinking about how to boost my spirit. These verses that I write about are verses chosen two months ago for this day. Is it coincidental that when I need reminding, they remind me? I think not!
The perfect Law, if it is stored in our memory file cabinet, will rise to the occasion to do its work – perfectly – every time! Our job is to put the memorized verses in our phenomenal mental file cabinet.

Prayer: Father, thank you that Mary Duff encouraged me to memorize this psalm in grade school so that I may share it with the church today. Thank you for your guidance even when I was a child. Amen.

“I am the resurrection and the life.” John 11:25
Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2009
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Director



No comments:

Post a Comment