Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Devotional Guide -- March 13

Wednesday, March 13, 2019
The Seekers: God and Man

“Incline your ear, and come to me; hear, that your soul may live; and I will make with you an everlasting covenant…my sure love.” Psalm 55:4

I went to Kentucky this past Christmas and took Peggy Benson’s Shadow with me. She was flying to Tennessee and could not take the dog. I was driving and he could go with me. My children live in a zoo, anyway, with two dogs, two cats, and a gerbil! One more dog would not make any difference.

When I got there, Elizabeth came running, “Where’s the dog?” she asked. Shadow ignored her! She was crestfallen!

All during the week, she coaxed him, gave him treats, invited him to sleep on her bed, got toys for him. Still he ignored her! Finally, about three days before we left, she called me to come quickly! Shadow was curled up next to her on her bed! She was elated! Finally, he was her friend.

I hear Elizabeth’s kind of pleading in this psalm as God begs us to listen to him, come to him, so that he can just love us! I envision his expression as he approaches us gently, encouraging us to accept his attention so that we can live, but we ignore him. I wonder if he doesn’t feel the elation Elizabeth did when we at last curl up next to him and enjoy his presence!

Prayer: Father, we are so sorry that you call, and we turn a deaf ear. That you coax, and we ignore. Forgive us. Cause us to come to you. Amen.

“I am the resurrection and the life.” John 11:25
Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2009
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Director





No comments:

Post a Comment