Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Devotional Guide -- March 27

Wednesday, March 27, 2019
The Holy Bible: 
God Speaks to Man

“’Behold the days are coming,’ says the Lord God, ‘when I will send a famine on the land; not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord. They shall wander from sea to sea, and from north to east; they shall run to and fro, to seek the word of the Lord, but they shall not find it.’” Amos 8:11-12

One time when I was in China, a student came to the apartment, saw my Bible on the table, and asked, “Holy Bible? May I touch it?” Of course I told him yes, and even opened it to several passages that I hoped he might understand with a little help from me. Afterward, I thought about how awful it would be not to have access to that Book. I have them all over my house, but he had none and had never touched this book that he called holy.

Amos is talking about having no word from God. He says there will be a time when man will search and search, but God’s word will not be there. And that did happen. For 400 years before the birth of Jesus, God did not speak – to anyone! When he told Zachariah that he would be the father of John the Baptist, that was God’s first recorded communication with man in 400 years!

Can that happen again? Probably. It has happened in places like China and Russia. Perhaps this warning will cause us to appreciate this treasure that we have so easily available to us, even to memorize God’s Word, hide it in our hearts where it cannot be taken from us – ever!

Prayer: Father, cause us to understand how important to our lives your Word is; cause us to drink it in to keep it safe for as long as we live. Amen.

“I am the resurrection and the life.” John 11:25
Lenten Devotional Guide
prepared for Homosassa United Methodist Church, Spring 2009
by Patience Nave, Christian Education Director






No comments:

Post a Comment